Friday, January 8, 2016

Learning German

I recently decided to try and learn German. I have always had an interest in the language, but only recently took action to actually try learning it!

I took a beginner Spanish course about 20 years ago, and really loved it. I found it to be a perfect combination of English and French, and ultimately a very easy and beautiful language to learn. Sadly, I never took any more courses and therefore I only have a very limited knowledge of the language.

I found a great website called Duolingo, and it has many languages that you can learn for free! It's super easy, and kind of fun! It it almost entirely sentence based, so you don't have actual lessons, really, you mostly just learn new words that are already in sentences. Regardless, it is definitely a good way to introduce yourself to a new language. I am at level 30 now (whatever that really means in the real world!) and know a lot of words! I would not be able to have a conversation with someone yet, but I would be able to throw a few sentences out there.

I have an easier time reading the language than listening to it, so it's hard to find other sources to diversify my learning experience.

One thing that learning German has taught me though, is how much there is to learn! If you imagine a long line of numbers, each number representing a stage of learning, then it really does take a heck of a long time to get to a hundred! I'm probably at 5. I also developed a whole new appreciation of my knowledge of French! I have had very low confidence in my French skills, mainly because I live in a city full of completely bilingual people (people who can actually switch back and forth between the two languages without even a pause). I realized that while I am not as bilingual as many people in this city, that I do in fact have quite an extensive knowledge of the language! I realized that I can easily have conversations that require practically no effort. Where as, in German I would struggle to say even simple things like to try and describe my self, or my interests. I can't really form sentences, and have a very limited vocabulary.

However, it's been fun trying something new! And now with my new found confidence in my French skills, I'm debating maybe actually taking some leisure courses that are only offered in French. See, by living in this city in only English, I end up cutting off about 70% of the opportunities for learning available. I might not be able to understand everything that a teacher will say, and will probably just hear noise if people start talking at the same time and using slang. But with any luck, I will learn a bit more French, and maybe have the chance to learn a new hobby that I would otherwise not have the opportunity to learn due to it not being offered in English. For example, I have researched cooking classes (I'm vegetarian) and there aren't any offered in English.

I do still need to learn Spanish though. I mean, realistically, there is much more of a chance of me being able to actually use it! Just taking a vacation to the Caribbean I could use Spanish. Where as, when would I ever be able to practice German?

No comments:

Post a Comment